Volunteer (Casual) - Active In-Betweens
Active In-betweens aims to engage and support local children aged 9-12 years during the vulnerable “in-between” years across 3 sites in the Illawarra region. The program’s goal is to increase participants’ social and neighbourhood connectedness, create opportunities for physical activity and increase awareness, knowledge and practice of healthy eating practices.
The program delivers a weekly outdoor activity session incorporating physical activity, healthy eating, healthy lifestyle, creative self-expression and the development of positive social and neighbourhood connections. This program provides positive role modelling and meets an identified community need for early intervention with this age group.
Role: To promote healthy lifestyles for kids aged 9 – 12 years old by supporting the project officers in program planning and delivery. This is an opportunity to gain experience in the health promotion and community space.
- Engage with kids aged 9 – 12 years old at their level, being a positive mentor/ role model
- Assist in setting up for the program including cutting up fruit, setting up equipment etc.
- Assist in facilitating program activities including physical activities
- Potentially assist in physical and social media promotions of programs
- Providing reflection feedback evaluation at the end of each session
- Develop appropriate ways to engage program participants’ families where possible
Locations: Current program sites include Bellambi Neighbourhood Centre, Bundaleer Community Centre and/or Horsley Community Centre.
Hours: Two and a half hours per week per program during school terms. Commitment is expected for two to three terms.
Volunteer at one or more of the following programs;
- Bellza 9 – 12s on Tuesday afternoon from 2:30pm – 5pm at Bellambi Neighbourhood Centre
- Bundy 9 – 12s on Wednesday afternoons 2:30pm – 5pm Bundaleer Community Centre
- Horsley Outdoor Krew (HOK) on Thursday afternoon from 2:30pm – 5pm at Horsley Community Centre
Essential Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- Passion and enthusiasm for working with children in the “tweens” age group (9-12yrs)
- The ability to motivate, inspire and connect with children in the “tweens” age group and their families
- Physical fitness and the ability to join in the program activities as required and when asked to do so by the children
- Good communication skills and the ability to deal positively with a range of behaviours exhibited by children in this age group
- A current “Working with Children Check”
- Own transport to and from activity sites
Desired Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- First aid qualifications or willingness to complete training